Weather in Overberg
Summer (November – March) Temperatures rise to 36C falling overnight to 15C. Rain is unlikely at this time. The coast can be breezy.
Autumn (April/May) Temperatures can rise to high 20C falling overnight to around 10C. The risk of rain is higher at this time.
Winter (June – August) Temperatures average around 15C and can fall to 0C overnight.This can be a season of beautiful days and cold, crisp nights. Rain is more likely and the region is prone to storms at this time. Snow is very rare but can fall on the mountains in July and August.
Spring (September/October) Temperatures can rise to high 20C falling overnight to around 10C. The weather is starting to become drier.
Swellendam was the third town to be established in South Africa. The town centre boasts a fine collection of original Cape Dutch thatched buildings furnished with many period antiques and complete with the enticing aroma of beeswax polish. Nearby is the Bontebok National Park home to one of the rarest antelopes which is natural to the region. You will also see giant Tortoises.
Places to Visit in The Overberg
- Scenery The ‘End of Africa’, Cape Agulhas, is not as dramatic as Cape Point but it is where the Atlantic and Indian Oceans meet. this is an area of farmland and dramatic mountains and is great for hiking.
- Whales Hermanus has the best land based whale viewing in the world.
- Nature Reserves The Bontebok National Park, De Hoop, Harold Porter Botanical Gardens and the Langeberg provide typical South African Fynbos flora & fauna.
- Wineries Hamilton Russell near Hermanus and Graham Beck near Robertson are just two of the excellent wineries in this area.
- Towns Swellendam, Hermanus, & Bredasdorp and the pretty fishing village of Arniston are all worth visiting.
- Hot Springs Caledon & Montague boast excellent, therapeutic hot water spas.
- Golf There are some first class golf courses in the area and the course at the Arrabella Hotel and Resort (near Hermanus) is recognised as world class.
- Birding This is a great place to see a wide variety of birdlife
This is a non-malarial region
Accommodation in Overberg
This is the southern most tip of South Africa and the African continent and boasts some very luxurious hotels and more affordable bed & breakfast country houses where you will find typical South African hospitality. There are some interesting places to stay on Nature Reserves boasting a wide variety of fynbos including proteas. The area also has some great guest lodges on farms where you will enjoy true farm to table fresh food.