Weather in Limpopo
People from Tzaneen consider their climate to be the best in South Africa.
Summer (October – April) High temperatures of 33C and overnight low of 20C. This is the rainy season and prone to severe thunderstorms
Winter (May – September) High temperatures of 26C and overnight lows of 10C. This is the dry season but there can be occasional rain
This region is the most northerly province and includes some of the most remote locations in South Africa. This diverse area includes the vast wilderness areas of the Waterberg and Zoutspansberg, the legendary Rain Queen of the Lobedu tribe at Modjadi near the tea growing and tropical fruit centre of Tzaneen and the remote Venda land. Remains of early civilisations can be found across the province together with numerous cave paintings of the now departed stone age San people. This is indeed the land of legends.
Facts for Limpopo Province
- Towns At Warmbaths / Bela Bela you can visit the hot springs surrounded by lush gardens. Tzaneen is a typical, bustling South African town in the midst of beautiful scenery at the northern end of the Drakensberg.
- Culture & Legends Visit the cycad gardens of the Rain Queen who was used as the basis for Ryder Haggard’s classic novel “She”. There are also numerous villages where you can visit a sangoma (medicine man) and see traditional healing techniques.
- Scenery & History Explore Magoebaskloof for spectacular scenery and revisit the flight of Chief Magoeba from the ruthless Swazi impis. The Blyde River Canyon is the largest ‘green’ canyon in the world and is truly spectacular.
- Health and relaxation many of the fine hotels offer comprehensive spa facilities.
- Game Reserves The Waterberg, Welgevoenden, Zoutspansberg and the area around Hoedspruit bordering the Kruger National Park provide the ‘Big Five for great South African safaris and game viewing.
- Malaria In the low lying areas to the north and east of Tzaneen and in the Limpopo Valley (near Zimbabwe) we strongly recommend the use of anti malarial preparations, available from a pharmacy, and insect repellent creams and sprays.
Accommodation in Limpopo
Typical South African accommodation includes luxury hotels and some wonderful affordable bed & breakfast lodges.