Weather in Little Karoo
Summer (November – March) Temperatures can rise to 40C but evening and overnight temperatures will be a pleasant 19C. It will be very dry with little humidity at this time.
Autumn (May/June) Temperatures will rise to a high of 27C but overnight temperatures can fall to 4C. There may be the odd day of rain
Winter (June – August) Temperatures can rise to 18C and overnight are likely to be close to 4C. Rain, although not prevalent, is more likely at this time of year. there will be some beautiful days and cold, crisp nights. Snow is very rare at low levels but can fall on the mountains in July and August.
Spring (September/October) Temperatures will rise to 18C and at night can go as low as 4C. There is likely to be some rain.
Places to go in Karoo & Little Karoo
- Towns Oudtshoorn is the centre of the Ostrich industry, sleepy Calitzdorp is renowned for its Port wineries and Prince Albert is a green oasis with fine Victorian architecture.
- Wildlife The main Ostrich show farms and Feather Palaces are close to Oudtshoorn which also boasts the Cango Wildlife Ranch where you are able to play with the cheetah cubs!
- Crafts Ostrich leather and fine handmade Karoo wool rugs in Prince Albert.
- Mountains & Hiking The region has some of the best hiking in the country but we recommend spring & autumn.
- Festivals The annual Ostrich Festival in Oudtshoorn takes place in June and in Prince Albert the Olive Festival takes place in August.
Accommodation in Little Karoo
There are excellent luxury boutique hotels as well as more affordable bed & breakfast lodges with a truly South African welcome. You will be truly amazed at the quality of accommodation!