Weather in Garden Route
Summer (November – March) Temperatures reach a high in the mid-30C but pleasantly cool evenings. Excessive heat is rare and it is possible to get occasional rain.
Autumn (April/May) Temperature highs in low 20C falling overnight to around 13C
Spring (September/October) Temperature highs in low 20C falling overnight to around 13C
Winter (June – August) Temperatures tend to be mild during the day (16C to 20C) and normally a minimum of 3C overnight. Snow is very rare but can fall on the mountain tops in July and August. The area around Wilderness and Storms River is prone to sea mist.
Wilderness has one of the most photographed cliff top views in South Africa. Storms River is a small village in the heart of the Tsitsikamma Forest – a temperate Rain Forest but also a place where you can bungee jump, abseil, horse ride and also enjoy the unique Tree Top Canopy Tour. At nearby Storms River Mouth are some of the earliest traces of human habitation. There are many animal related parks celebrating elephants, monkeys, snakes and birds. Bird life is amazing for its variety including the shy, but beautiful, Knysna Loerie. Whales can be seen at Plettenberg Bay between June and December.
Places to go in the Garden Route
- Beaches for Swimming & Surfing Plettenberg Bay, Cape St. Francis, Victoria Bay & Herold’s Bay.
- Beaches for Scenery & Walking Keurboomstrand, Nature’s Valley & Wilderness.
- Nature Reserves Robberg Peninsula (Plettenberg Bay) and the Tsitsikamma National Parks are the main reserves.
- Hiking The Otter Trail is a 5 day hike along the Tsitsikamma coast but book well in advance.
- Towns Plettenberg Bay, Knysna, Wilderness, Sedgefield, Cape St. Francis, Jeffery’s Bay and Mossel Bay are the main coastal towns.
- Activities Bungee Jumping (Bloukrans Bridge), Horse Riding & Tree Top Canopy Tours & much more!
- Golf Fancourt, George, Pezula and Goose Valley are just some of the excellent world class golf courses found in this area.
- Eating out is easy with many good restaurants.
Accommodation in Garden Route
The Garden Route extends for 500 kms along the coastal area from Swellendam to near Port Elizabeth and is one of the playgrounds of South Africa. Some of the finest South African luxury hotels can be found as well as more affordable but excellent bed and breakfast lodges.